5 Ways That Medical Marijuana Can Help You Cope With Anxiety and Depression Over the Holidays.
For most people, Thanksgiving means spending quality time with family, gathering around a huge meal, and interacting with people you may not see often. Even in the best of scenarios, we are pressed for time, have more responsibilities, and the pressure of higher expectations. These expectations are often self-imposed on having a “perfect” trip, the best meal, or the “best holiday”. When there is a large gathering, that feeling of pressure of making sure everything goes right increases exponentially. Sometimes that expectation of perfection is not self-imposed and that adds even more kindling to the anxiety fire. Multiple studies confirm that there is a huge uptick in anxiety, stress and depression during the holidays.
Those with already present anxiety disorders may find that travelling exacerbates or triggers the anxiety symptoms. Large crowds, lots of sound, having to interact with strangers, deadlines, frustration of wayfinding and even the cost of tickets, lodging and rental cars or ridesharing services adds to the mix. Trust me- even for very experienced travelers this experience can ramp up anxiety and frustration.
During a hectic holiday season, practicing self-care is the most important thing you should do. Your physical and mental health are the utmost of importance. This is easy to forget when the holidays force us to focus on others. It is incredibly common for me to receive calls or get appointments booked, where people would like some medical help to cope with the people and pressure around Thanksgiving. Medical Marijuana is often a great solution for helping alleviate anxiety and depression. There are also many other options that help provide relief. I provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and help craft a plan that is specific to you.
In addition to using any substance to manage stress there are techniques like mindfulness, breathing exercises, and meditation that are especially effective when used concurrently. I know anytime I have a large gathering, I find myself spending a moment meditating or deliberately using calming breathing exercises multiple times throughout the day.
Here are 5 Ways That Medical Marijuana Can Help You Cope With Anxiety and Depression Over the Holidays.
- Impact on Brain Receptors: CBD interacts with serotonin receptors in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in mental health, and low levels of it are often linked to anxiety and depression. CBD’s interaction with these receptors help regulate serotonin levels, often leading to reducing anxiety.
- Calming Effect: CBD has shown promise in promoting relaxation and reducing stress. It can help individuals manage feelings of anxiety by inducing a sense of calmness without the psychoactive effects associated with THC.
- Neurological Effects: CBD impacts the brain’s signaling systems, affecting the way the brain responds to stress and anxiety. It can help in reducing the physiological symptoms of anxiety, such as increased heart rate or difficulty breathing.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Inflammation has been linked to anxiety, and CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties can help alleviate anxiety symptoms by reducing inflammation in the body.
- Neurogenesis: CBD promotes the growth of new neurons in the hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for regulating emotions. This process can contribute to a reduction in anxiety symptoms.
Please, do not feel like anxiety and depression are things that you simply can ignore or turn off. One of the things that I have believed and preached for years is that the way people feel is so much more complex than what most people understand. We are ALL a mish-mosh of chemicals. There is nothing “wrong” with anyone who has anxiety or depression. You also deserve to live your best life so if these things affect you- during Thanksgiving or ANY time of the year, I would be honored to talk with you and see how I can help.
Dr. Joseph “Joe” Rosado